For quite some time, teachers were seen to write on the blackboard with colourful chalks which often made many to sneeze. The whiteboard along with black marker slowly replaced the whiteboard with advancements made in technology. A couple of years ago, the teacher was able to come out with new acetates to display graphs and images to illustrate a specific point. Then the next year, students were amazed at the PowerPoint presentation that was prepared by their professors. Such presentations contained moving graphics and animations which generally were viewed on TV only or in the newly invented net and websites. These educational tools are still being used by few of the schools, but are considered to be the predecessor to the advanced and modern elearning authoring tools used today.
About elearning development tools
The authoring tools are called Authorware and are special programs which are designed for educations and not meant for the computer programmers. It is to enrich their overall classroom or elearning experience. Also can be developed customized applications, which include video, audio and graphics to be sequenced and synched to follow the teacher provided lectures. Rapid Authorware is considered to be the easiest tool type and the commonly used one is the MS PowerPoint.
Know the best elearning tools
Authoring tools are classified in several ways. The web is full of open-source authoring tools. Moodle is among the most praised of all elearning applications. Also are available rapid elearning authoring tools!
- CamStudio: This program offers free screen capture and records audio. An essential tool is Screen capture created to be used with learning software applications such as PhotoShop. The other main feature is video available format that includes the industry standard SWF and AVIs for streaming purpose.
- CourseLab: Easy ‘What You See Is What You Get’ (WYSISYG) environment is derived through this program by those non-tech savvy educators. It includes Learning Management Systems (LMS) for educators and administrators. It can be burned in CD-ROMs.
- LAMS: This free program has been introduced by a well known non-profit organization named LAMS Foundation, to help with R&D in learning. Through the intuitive authoring environment, the teachers can easily design different learning activities.
- Xerte: This program is meant for those advanced and intermediate educators and comprises of a suite of tools required to develop interactive elearning courses. Sophisticated elements can be created on ecourse depending upon individual tech savvy and creativity, something not possible with general rapid share tools such as PowerPoint.
- Articulate: It comprises of assessment, interactive content such as exams, surveys and quizzes for those non-tech savvy educators.
- Audacity: This open-source audio editing and recording program is used for elearning videos and webinars. The key element towards developing successful elearning course is audio.
- Adobe: It is regarded to be a trusted name in photo editing and graphics software. The latest advanced versions do contain several programs for better elearning creation.
Overall, the above tools are being currently used by professionals across the globe to come up with elearning programs to meet their specific client requirements.