The marmot is a tunneling mammal that can wreak havoc on your garden and lawn. Although most marmots usually weigh between 5 and 12 lbs; they have voracious appetites that can lead to problems with their crops and other plants. Marmots eat many plants, including beans, peas, lettuce, melons and fruits. In addition to eating plants from your garden, your tunnels can destroy your lawn, and possibly you or a pet damage if it enters a hole.
Wash them out of their tunnels
1. Look for an entrance to a marmot tunnel. There must be a large ring or mound of earth surrounding the entrance to the tunnel.
2. Dig several feet from the tunnel entrance with a shovel. Clear any bushes of other vegetation that could hide the hole. Hiding holes can make your marmot away.
3. Place a full shovel or two of, soaked cat litter urine used in the tunnel. Try to push the cat litter further down the tunnel. Seal the entrance tunnel with loose earth. Marmots have a keen sense of smell, and the smell of cat urine may be enough to drive them out of the area.
4. Fill a spray bottle with water.
5. Spray the plants in your garden with the water bottle. Mist the plants, but do not soak completely.
6. Sprinkle some powdered cayenne pepper or red pepper powder over the plants. The water will help the pepper stick to the plants. The pepper will help discourage marmots from eating their plants.
7. Now you need a trap! Put in an animal trap live in an area of your garden that marmots have been visiting. You can buy a live trap at a hunting store, or you may be able to borrow one from your animal control department or an animal shelter.
8. Bait trap with vegetables or fruits. Leave the area at night. Do not make any noise since marmot’s hear ability is good enough.
9. Check the morning trap of the trapped marmots. That is the main path used by marmot to an environment suitable for release, such as a large field, wooded area or park.
10. Fill all the tunnel holes with the ground. Pack the ground down hard; this will discourage any new marmots from moving in the old tunnel system.
11. You are suggested to get as much as info from online sites. If you live in UK, it’s better if you open this site, petsexpert.co.uk. There you can get a lot of info about maintaining small pets. Today is Internet era and you can make the maintenance of your marmot better even though you’re an amateur.